A shift in mind and space – what’s the future of the magazine?

Since my baby boy was born in the summer, it’s been a quiet few months in terms of creativity. He is my best creation of the year, which is how it should be. There’s something about having a baby that seems to give me clarity. It doesn’t happen straight away, and the process is painful, but once I come through the darkness of utter exhaustion, I feel like a new person.Continue Reading →

Some yarn play!

It’s no secret that yarn isn’t my main passion. I’ve been captivated by cloth for many years, making clothes and also simply fabric for scarves. I love the drape of fabric and never get tired of it.

But recently I’ve been yearning to experiment with yarn more. Initially I planned to re-learn knitting; I learnt to knit as a young child, but never progressed beyond the basics. So I bought some chunky cotton yarn and some bamboo knitting needles. Things didn’t quite work out this way though, as I was tempted by Tunisian Crochet somewhere along the way…!Continue Reading →

eBook coming soon!

It’s been a few months in the making and I’m pleased to announce that my eBook, ‘Botanical Colour at your Fingertips’ will be out on Tuesday 24th May!

Thank you for your interest and support through Instagram whilst I’ve been working on this exciting project! I really hope that you enjoy reading it.

New logo!

I’m so excited to start using my new logo designed for me by Sierra Johnson of Letter Lodge!

This week I’ve been busy making new business cards and tags and stamping my new logo.

I used watercolour paper and presoaked it in soya milk and left it for a couple of weeks before using it. The dyes were very concentrated which I made by boiling off lots of liquid to leave a small amount of super concentrated colour. The purple is from mahonia berries and the pink is from avocado skin.

More experiments with Mahonia berries

Dye from berries isn’t a long lasting colour and I didn’t think I’d be playing around with mahonia berries again, but I had a couple of projects in mind and was tempted to collect some berries. Where I live in south east London, they grow in gardens and also in public places.

The purple staining on my hands turned blue under the tap water. It’s amazing to see. 

I extracted as much colour as I could over a 24 hour period of heating and soaking the berries. I could have probably heated the berries in fresh water to get more colour but I didn’t need anymore.

My first experiment was to dip dye some watercolour paper to make new business cards. This was a lot of fun and I love the results!Β 

The second project was to dye a dress. I wouldn’t sell clothes dyed in mahonia berries as I don’t know how long the colour will last, even if it is stored in a dark place and washed carefully. I’ve read that berry dye may only last a couple of years, so time will tell. But I really wanted to dye a dress to wear to a wedding this summer and I won’t be wearing or washing it often and if it fades I will just redye it!Β  I actually like the transient nature of this dye and the fact that I can keep adding layers of colour over time.

I really love the result, although the colour was a complete surprise to me! 

The colour is a purple/beige with cool undertones. I was sure that I would end up with a grey/blue dress based on my experiments a few weeks ago. However, I had to dilute the dye massively, as I’d made a very concentrated colour and my dress needed quite a lot of water so it could stay submerged in liquid. As I added water into the initial concentrated dye, the colour didn’t turn from pink/purple to blue as I’d expected, but it turned purple/brown, and this is the colour that the dress dyed. But the paper that I dyed in the concentrated dye turned from purple to blue under tap water when I tested it. It’s fascinating how the pH of the dye affects the final colour outcome.

My initial experiment with mahonia berries from a few weeks ago is shown above and the dress isn’t any of the colours that I achieved a few weeks ago. (The colour samples  on the left page, from top to bottom: 1. modified with iron water, 2. rinsed under tap water, 3. straight out of the dye pot, 4. dipped in vinegar),

Dyeing beads with avocado skin

I had a jar of avocado skin dye in the fridge and decided to try dyeing some beads with it. The beads were soaked in soya milk twice and left for about a week before dyeing.

Then the beads were left in a simmering dye pot for a while, then left for 24 hours in the dye as it cooled.Β 

Once dry, the beads were oiled with flaxseed oil to protect them and help seal in the colour. The beads have such an intense colour and actually look like they are glowing. It was definitely a successful experiment!

The photo below shows avocado skin dyed beads on an avocado skin dyed cotton scarf.Β 

Pretty packages

Here are some recent packages of scarves that have been sent off to new homes. I’ve been experimenting with different ways of wrapping and have recently settled on using fabric wrapping instead of tissue paper.

I have a box full of fabric off cuts that I’ve dyed over the years and it seems to be the perfect way of using up all the fabric.